- 1-1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter, Cubed, Room Temperature
- 3/4 cups Heavy Cream, Room Temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon To 1 1/2 Tablespoons Sea Salt
- Get ALL of your tools and ingredients ready.
- Cut up the butter and set it aside. Measure out the heavy cream and set it aside as well.
- Measure out the sugar and 1/4 cup of water and pour into a stainless steel pot or a nonstick sauce pan.Don’t turn the heat on yet. Using a rubber spatula, mix the sugar and water until combined and then turn the heat on to medium high. This is the last time you will use your rubber spatula.
- Don’t mix or stir! Remember this, it’s key! Just pick up the pot and swirl it around if you really want to mix it.
- You’ll notice the sugar will start bubbling. If any sugar crystals start to form around the sides of the pot, use a silicone brush coated with water to dissolve the crystals.
- After cooking the sugar on medium high for about 13 to 14 minutes, you’ll notice it turn to a caramel color. Now we’re ready to start moving fast!
- Add the cubed butter. Be careful, the sugar is really hot. Whisk the butter in. The key is to whisk it vigorously and continuously until it’s thoroughly combined.
- Now pour in the heavy cream. Again, be careful—this mixture is really hot! Whisk it thoroughly and vigorously. If you don’t, the heavy cream will not combine with the sugar and you will not have caramel.
- Add the vanilla and whisk. Add sea salt (to taste) and whisk it. Allow it to cool and then put into containers and store in the refrigerator. Enjoy!